A coalition of around 10,000 farmers and ranchers announced they will be supporting a Green New Deal. According to Regeneration International, the coalition is a bipartisan national coalition of rural and urban farmers and ranchers. Agriculture practices could play a key role in the climate change fight. Currently the industry accounts for 9% of U.S greenhouse gas emissions, but could potentially reverse this into a carbon sink if green techniques were applied broadly throughout the industry. Farming will also be one of the most impacted industries by climate change from unpredictable weather patterns to droughts.
The Coalition aims to expand economic opportunities for farmers and ranchers who:
- Combat climate change by reducing emissions and sequestering carbon
- Contribute to a clean environmental and restore natural habitats
- Provide access to locally produced, contaminant-free, nutrient-dense food
- Help build and support resilient local and regional food systems and economies
- Provide safe working conditions and living wages for farm workers