- “Bernie Sanders Says Climate Change Is An ‘Existential Crisis’” • Democratic presidential candidate Sen Bernie Sanders said climate change is an existential crisis that will impact generations to come. He advocated for a complete overhaul of the US energy system away from fossil fuel. He said climate change is a human rights issue. [CNN]
- “Listen To The Children: Political Miscalculations Pile Up Over The Green New Deal” • This week across the US, young people are visiting their Senators to plead for the Green New Deal. They tell personal stories about why the GND holds hope for their future, for a system of energy that is renewable, not rigged by fossil fuel billionaires. [CleanTechnica]
- “Germany Ditches Fossil Fuels And Looks To Renewable Energy” • Germany, one of the largest consumers of coal, has decided to shut down all its coal-fired plants by 2038. To make this a reality will require an investment of around $45 billion. Germany had earlier decided to shut down all its nuclear power plants by 2022. [Power Technology]
- “Spain Targets 120 GW Of Renewable Energy Capacity In 2030” • Spain will aim at 120 GW of installed renewable energy capacity by 2030, primarily wind and solar power. The Spanish government approved the national integrated energy and climate plan, which would have renewables provide 42% of energy consumption in 2030. [Renewables Now]
- “City Takes Big Step Towards Energy Independence, Possible Lower Rates” • San Diego’s City Council voted 7-2 to move forward with a bold plan for energy independence. They authorized the mayor to negotiate the creation of a public agency that would buy electrical power for city residents through community aggregation. [NBC 7 San Diego]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.
Source: Green Events
February 26 Green Energy News