- “Aggressive Clean Energy Bill Would Push Illinois To 100% Renewables By 2050” • An ambitious energy bill, the Clean Energy Jobs Act, has been introduced in both chambers of the Illinois legislature. It would mandate the state shift to entirely renewable energy by mid-century with an emphasis on job creation and equity. [Energy News Network]
- “Toledo Voters Approve Lake Erie Bill Of Rights” • Voters in Toledo, Ohio, voted by 61% to 39% to approve the so-called Lake Erie Bill Of Rights, a declaration that the lake, which supplies drinking water to Toledo and many surrounding communities, has the legal right to be protected from harm from human activity. [CleanTechnica]
- “To Save Lobsters, Maine Piles Into States Eyeing 100% Renewables” • Maine, warning that global warming is a threat to its lobsters, just joined the growing chorus of states pledging to get all of their electricity from renewable energy sources. Gov Janet Mills said her state is already seeing damage from climate change first hand. [Bloomberg]
- “Earth’s Fish Are Disappearing Because Of Climate Change, Study Says” • Climate change is endangering fish worldwide, shrinking populations by up to 35% in coastal regions near China and Japan, scientists say. Ocean warming has led to a 4% global decline in sustainable catches, according to a study published in the journal Science. [CNN]
- “Senate Confirms Former Coal Lobbyist Andrew Wheeler To Lead EPA” • The Senate confirmed Andrew Wheeler, a former coal industry lobbyist, to lead the EPA, in a 52-47 vote primarily along party lines. Wheeler has been acting administrator since July, when former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt resigned amid a host of ethics controversies. [CNN]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.
Source: Green Events
March 1 Green Energy News