This Saturday, September 8th, join VT Natural Resources Council (VNRC) and organizers from 350VT as we celebrate a global day of action calling for more aggressive steps to break free from fossil fuels.
Check out the following events happening around Vermont, and find out more about all of the planned actions here. We hope to see you out and about. (VNRC will be present at the Montpelier event )
- Burlington — Paddle & Drum with Pride: Burlington Rises for Climate, Jobs, Justice and Water! 12:30 – 6 p.m. March in the Pride Parade then join kayaktivists, guest speakers and indigenous leaders at the Burlington Waterfront to raise awareness of the links between local water quality and climate change, and the intertwining of social, economic, and environmental justice. Learn more about the Burlington action here.
- Montpelier — Picnic & Fair for Climate, Jobs and Justice! 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. At this family-friendly community picnic you can expect to connect with fellow Vermonters about how to work towards climate action in your community, call for effective climate leadership directly to candidates for office, and explore hands-on educational activities for adults and kids alike. Learn more about the Montpelier action here.
- Rutland — Routes to Resilience, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Explore Rutland through sites addressing, or affected by, climate change: farms, rain gardens, renewable energy installations, and more — then come together for food, conversation and strengthening of the local climate movement! Learn more about the Rutland action here.
- Manchester — Rise for Climate, Jobs and Justice March and Rally, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Make art, march with your neighbors and hold local leaders accountable on climate action. At 1 p.m., State Rep candidate Kathleen James and Paris Climate Agreement contributor Edward Cameron will speak at the Northshire Bookstore. Learn more about the Manchester action here.
- Brattleboro — Windham County Rise for Climate — Rally & Ride! 3 – 6 p.m. Walk, bike and rally in the name of climate justice! A bicycle “petting zoo”, music, tables, face-painting, guest speakers and more will be featured at this family-friendly event. Learn more about the Brattleboro action here.
- Bennington — A Night For Action, 6 p.m. Join your neighbors for a potluck, discussion and film screening of The Reluctant Radical, a film about one of the valve turners who shut down all the U.S. tar sands oil pipelines for a day. Learn more about the Bennington action here.
With Vermont’s greenhouse gases rising dramatically, there’s never been a more important moment for real action, accountability, and partnership on climate change. The “Rise for Climate” Day of Action is just one of many ways you can get involved, if you aren’t already.
Source: Green Events